Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Nacierma

After the Nacirema exercise, please answer the following:
1. What happened yesterday? Why couldn't we recognize our own culture?
Yesterday in class we read about he "Nacierma" tribe. The article we read mentioned that there was a tribe, and in not so many words, between Mexico and Canada. We read through this article and mentioned things about this tribe. We determined that this Nacirema tribe was "religious, weird, uneducated, uncivilized" and I exclaimed that "I would not want to live in this tribe because I don't want things jabbed into me." I, and a majority of the rest of the class, was oblivious to the fact that the Nacirema tribe was actually the American culture. We failed to recognized our culture for a couple of reasons. My first problem with not recognizing the fact was that there were picture up on this screen of various African tribes, with large objects in their mouths and ears. ALSO MR STEEDMAN WAS TELLING US THAT ONE OF THE PICTURES ON THE SCREEN WAS A RITUAL THE ARTICLE WAS DESCRIBING. KNOWLEDGE BY AUTHORITY. STEEDMAN TRICKED ME AND I BELIEVED HIM BECAUSE HE IS MY TEACHER AND I TRUST WHAT HE SAYS. Also, the language used was not typical american-culture language, so I did not recognize the American culture.
2. What does your answer say about the the strengths and weaknesses of the Social Sciences like Psychology, Sociology and Anthropology?
Social Sciences like Anthropology seems invalid to me. Personal biases get in the way because, as we proved, we could not look at another culture objectivley.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent job Dylan in describing what took place using ToK terms. Well done! Did I really trick you?

    10/10

    Now, where is Abel Ch. 15??

    ReplyDelete